Monday, September 28, 2009

Happiness or Blessing?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be blessed. It seems like the word "blessing" is everywhere I turn: a chapter in Amelia's children's Bible is called "God's Blessings Grow"; an earlier CNN headline reads, "Flood Survivors Count Their Blessings"; a friend of a friend's blog post today is entitled "Deliriously Blessed." I ask God to bless my home, my family, and my loved ones, but do I really understand what I am asking for?

What I think I am asking for is for a happy home, for a healthy family, for safety and peace for my loved ones. However, I wonder often about how my definition of blessing might be applied to the faith of those who live in a constant state of violence, misery and poverty. Are they not blessed? Do they live outside of God's favor? If I adhere to my definition, the answer is yes. If I adhere to my definition, blessing is equated to my own personal and selfish happiness. If I adhere to my definition, then I also must believe that I am more deserving of God's favor. I do believe that my God is just; therefore, my definition of blessing must change.

Thoughts?

But I get turned around
I mistake some happiness for blessing
But I`m blessed as the poor
Still I judge success by how I`m dressing
-Caedmon's Call

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah - I feel the same about the statement "God is Good!" whenever something happens the way someone wants it too (such as someone thinks they have cancer, but the tests come back and they are fine). In that case, if the person got cancer, then God would be bad? Like I've shared with you before that's why I never have the mentality of "Why Me?" if something bad happens, because on the flip side we should be asking "Why Me?" when good things happen in our life too! I like the quote you shared too - thanks...your friend, Megan

Dave said...

Very well said...and I always like a Caedmon's Call reference to boot. Maybe a better question to ask is, "How can I be a blessing to someone else today?" or in case someone thinks I'm too secular humanist with that last statement, "How can I allow God to use me to be a blessing to others." That might be a little too wordy though. :)