Thursday, May 22, 2008

Girls Night Out

Being the mother of young children can be described in many ways: rewarding, challenging, precious, exhausting, and fulfilling. It is all of those things and so much more in ways that words cannot adequately describe. I love my sweet children and I love being their mommy. And to be clear, I wouldn't trade my current station in life, not ever. But I will be a realist for a moment and add a lesser acknowledged descriptor to the list: being the mother of young children can be Isolating. Yes, with a capital "I."

Tonight I was invited to dinner with a few women that I have met through Amelia's preschool. All of them are fun, intelligent women with multiple children and demanding careers. As we sat down to talk, the one obvious common denominator between the four of us was that we were starved for female companionship. Some of us more than others. I know I am somewhere near the top of that list. I realized that since I moved to Alabama nineteen months ago, I could think of only 3 other times that I have gotten together with other women, sans children, just to hang out. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to hear how ALL of their husbands are messy, especially when left alone with the kids, and that their 3 year olds refuse their naps, or that I'm not the only one with post pregnancy back fat and deflated boobs.

Sometimes, when you are embroiled in the business of toilet training, tantrums and time-outs, it is easy to forget that many women around the world have done this before you, and are, in fact, going through it along side you. Tonight, between the Dos Equis and tortilla chips, I felt like I had allies; I felt as if I wasn't alone in this terrifying and wonderful journey of motherhood. After more than two hours, I left the restaurant refreshed, more connected to my own center, more ready than ever to dive back into my crazy world over on Marina Dr.

3 comments:

RobeDownLow said...

¡Te quiero!

The Unlikely Pastor's Wife said...

dos equis and tortilla chips always make me feel better and not so alone.
So glad you got girl time Sarah. We sometimes get lost under the umbrella of mommy, and I know that after a night with the girls, I come home happier and readier to go back under the umbrella.

Mel said...

Good for you! Girlfriends are so important. Like you :)