Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Big Girl Bed

As Dave and I prepare to welcome a new baby into our family, our first baby, Amelia, has taken the first step away from her babyhood and into (gasp) what we call the "big girl bed." One "oh-my-gosh-what's-this-parenting-thing-really-all-about" moment that remains crystal clear in my memory took place at Amelia's two month old appointment at the pediatrician's office. A little girl, about two and a half, was sitting with her mother across the aisle from us in the lobby. As I listened to the mother lamenting on her cell phone, I gathered that the little girl was in the office because she had thrown herself out of her crib and on to the hard wood floor of her bedroom and had been acting pained and drowsy ever since. I remember looking at my serene little infant in her carrier on the floor beside me and wondering if we would ever get to that stage. Maybe my child will skip that stage, I thought to myself. Wouldn't that be nice.

Amelia's timing is impeccable, really. Three weeks before her world is about to get rocked to its foundation, our mischievous little girl decided that this would be a really good week to start throwing herself out of her crib. And when I say "throw," it's not a hyperbole in any way. Dave watched her on Monday as she lifted one leg over and then flung herself with all of her might out of her little prison. That was enough for us. Within hours, we had disassembled her crib, brought out her new bedding (I was prepared, knowing this moment was at hand) and had a heart to heart with our two year old about the benefits of a sleeping THROUGH THE NIGHT in a real bona fide bed. We read her a story, sang her a song and then said good night. Forty-five minutes of screaming and a little bribery later, she finally curled up with her stuffed Elmo and doggy and fell asleep. As parents, Dave and I have not had a prouder moment.

Sweet victory!

No comments: