Saturday, February 01, 2014

Painting Over Knotty Pine









My husband once said it's a sin to paint over knotty pine.

This was his response when, one Sunday afternoon, brush and bucket in hand, I told him I was going to paint. Every last square inch of our dirty, knotty-pine, 1940's sun porch.

Three and a half years ago when we moved to Joplin, we bought a house. I loved its original hard wood floors, crystal door knobs, and authentic honeycomb tile in the bathroom. But it was a tired, old house. And it was dirty and drafty and in desperate need of a family who would put some life back into its sturdy, yet creaky old bones.

The problem was that when we moved in, I didn't have the heart and we didn't have the money to give it the attention that it deserved. I was 6 months pregnant with our third child. Dave was starting a new, more demanding job. We were yoked with the burden of a house that would not sell in our previous town. And truth be told, I was miserable. I missed the friends and church and house I had left behind. I didn't want to be in Joplin; I wanted to be anywhere but Joplin. And, for a while, even though I knew I shouldn't, I hated the house. I hated the cracks in the plaster and the crooked floor in the hallway and the uninsulated upstairs bedroom that we slept in with a newborn and a space heater through an extraordinarily long Missouri winter.

But then, that long Missouri winter gave way to a violent Missouri spring.

 And a mile wide tornado.

That devoured a third of the town.

And there is a pregnant pause in this story.

Because that day life changed. For me. For lots of people. For everyone in Joplin.

 I could not hate what many no longer had. This creaky, drafty, outdated house had four walls and a roof and a basement that had been our refuge.

This house was a blessing.

One Sunday afternoon, not too long after, I told my husband I was going to paint our knotty pine sun porch. And, sinful or not, that's just what I did. I stayed up all night long. I painted the walls. I painted the ceiling. I painted the window casings and doors. I even painted the old plywood floor. It took four coats. It was an exhausting and cathartic and even a bit of a meditative process for me.

I needed to paint over the knotty pine. Coat after painstaking coat. I needed the restorative process of making something beautiful again.

We continue to embrace this little house. We replaced the roof and finished the basement and added a bathroom and a great, big walk-in closet. It isn't fancy or beautiful or special. But we adore it, probably more than any other we have owned.

It has always had character, but now it has soul, a soul born of deep gratitude and a night painting over knotty pine. 








2 comments:

Barb said...

Beautiful! I love you and miss you oodles!

mel said...

Catching up on your blog after too long. I love this piece. You did a wonderful job with the painting. Definitely the right move. I hope you're enjoying the light of this room now that the days are long and warm.

Thank you as always for your honesty. Your posts always bring clarity out of the darkness for me. xoxo.