Monday, July 07, 2008

Finger Lickin' Good

The flip side to our sometimes idyllic life here in Eufaula is what Dave and I jokingly refer to as the "Down Home, Down the Street" phenomena; the slogan for the Piggly Wiggly grocery chain. Since this may be difficult to visualize if you have never been to the South, I will provide one of my favorite illustrations.

While sitting at a red light on Eufaula Ave. the other day, I happened to glance to my right and notice a sturdy blond woman in a dark green Pontiac Grand Am. If the light had turned green at that moment, she wouldn't have noticed because she was in the middle of devouring an enormous fried chicken leg. I could tell she was almost through because she was sucking on the ends and licking her fingers. Then, her passenger side window began to go down, almost in slow motion, and I thought to myself, "Oh, no, please lady! Don't perpetuate a stereotype!" But she did it. She threw her chicken bone and accompanying trash on the lawn of the First United Methodist Church, licked her fingers again and drove away.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I'll bet they don't do that in Afghanistan!