Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Fragrance of Suburbia

It was a glorious day. Saturday afternoon. No school for a week. On a walk with my daughter. The birds were chirping, the sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The air still maintained a mid-February chill, but it was tinged with a promise of warmer weather. You could smell it. Almost taste it. The aroma was pervasive throughout my short walk around our condominium complex. I liked it; it was clean and fresh, almost like perfume. It reminded me of the overwhelming fragrance of jasmine that accompanied springtime in my old neighborhood. But this definitely wasn't jasmine. Nor any other flower I had ever experienced. I chalked it up to some kind of scrub brush or lavender or other foreign plant indigenous to the hills surrounding our house.

On the walk back towards home, it dawned on me. It was Saturday in the suburbs: laundry day. What I smelled in the air that was not an exotic plant or the promise of spring. It was the aroma of laundry detergent, expelled from two hundred vents in two hundred garages, that saturated the neighborhood.

When Dave and I tell some of the older members of our congregation where we live, we often hear, "I used to hunt bobcats up in those hills" or "That whole area was all chicken farms in my day." I used to vehemently begrudge new developments and cookie-cutter houses and gated communities... until we moved here. Now, I am so thankful for our little postage stamp of property. However, I can't help but wonder what a Saturday afternoon walk in mid-February would have smelled like back then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah......
I feel like crying. You are absolutely amazing!!!!! (with as much emphasis as that can possibly have) There are a million things I should be doing but could not tear myself away from your blog. I LOVE it! You are a fantastic writer and have a captivating and mesmorizing voice. Your insights are unique and, what's a word for draw you in. I feel like using high level vocabulary after reading your models of thesaurus style words and beautiful imagery. I want to print your stories to show my students fantastic examples of great writing. I know I always love getting cards from you with sweet and heart felt words, written perfectly, but I never knew what an author you are. You definitely need to keep this up and someday publish your (how do you spell) memoies. The best part of it all is getting a glimpse of your life, normal occurances written with such creativity. I feel like there isn't so much space between us. I am also inspired to observe and appreciate the everyday occurances with a new appreciation. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to future updates. I love you! Bethanie
P.S. I tried to open your blog a while back and it didn't work so that's why I am reading it all for the first time.